Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wireless LED

Somewhere around 2.6.25, a new option was added to Networking support: RF switch subsystem support.  I didn't notice it or didn't realise its significance at the time, but if I'd paid more attention to it, I probably would have realised that it was connected with the simultaneous failure of the wireless LED to work anymore.  The options are disabled by default and, as you can guess by the name, provide support for the 'RF kill switch'. This in turn affects the wireless LED.  It finally came to my attention when somehow, something enabled the RF kill switch and of course pressing it didn't disable it.  Just today I discovered that there is another kernel option that the wireless LED depends on in Networking support-->Wireless: Wireless extensions sysfs files (itself a sub-option of "Wireless extensions", which is forced on).

No comments:

Post a Comment